Boston Manor House

Boston Manor House, one of West London’s lesser-known gems, is a fine Jacobean manor house built in 1623. Set back from Boston Manor Road in Brentford, the three-storey building is situated in parkland containing a lake and ancient cedar trees.

We now have a new telephone number at Boston Manor House . Our new number is 0208 568 2818 and our e mail address is

Tours of  Boston Manor House by Hounslow Heritage Guides at 2.30pm Admission Free.
May 17 & 18, June  22, July 19 & 20, Aug 16 & 17, Sept 20 & 21, October 18 & 19

Open House Weekend 12.30, 2pm, 3.30pm , Sept 20 and 21

Join us for Story Time & activities: two sessions at 2:30pm & 3:30pm.
Held on the last Saturday of the month: 26th April, 31st May, 28th June, 26th July, 30th August, 27th September, 25th October.

Boston Manor HouseOpening Times

Will be open every Saturday / Sunday and Bank Holiday Mondays from 12 noon until 5pm from Saturday 5th April 2014 until Sunday 26th October 2014.

About The House

Boston Manor House Stairs and doorThe house was built for Lady Mary Reade, a young widow who re-married not long after its completion in 1623. Her second husband was Sir Edward Spencer of Althorp, Northamptonshire - an ancestor of the late Diana, Princess of Wales. Sir Edward and Lady Mary were still owners of Boston Manor in 1642, when the Battle of Brentford took place nearby, during the Civil War.

Download an informative leaflet - History & Architecture of Boston Manor House (.pdf)  >
(In some internet browsers you may have to right-click and choose Save link as...)

In 1670 the house was extended, following its purchase for £5,136 by James Clitherow, a City merchant. It remained the home of seven generations of the Clitherow family during the next two-and-a-half centuries, until it became the property of the local Council in 1924.

Today the magnificent 17th century State Rooms on the first floor, together with the Dining Room on the ground floor, can be visited and enjoyed free of charge.

The Dining Room as it was in the early 19th century. King William IV and Queen Adelaide, who had long been friends of the Clitherows, came to dine here one evening in 1834 - a rare instance of a reigning monarch being received as the guest of a commoner.

Upstairs on the first floor are the State Rooms, two of which contain magnificently decorated plaster ceilings of 1623. That in the Drawing Room incorporates nineteen allegorical figures representing the Five Senses, Four Elements, Three Virtues, Peace and Plenty, War and Peace, and Father Time flanked by two Cupids. The sumptuous Jacobean mantelpiece includes a biblical scene showing the Angel stopping Abraham from sacrificing Isaac. Further up the stairway towards the second floor landing some rare 18th century wallpaper can be seen.

For enquiries about Boston Manor House and grounds, please contact:

Boston Manor has an active Friends Group. For more information, please visit


Boston Manor Road, Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 9JX.

Tel: 0208 568 2818

How to get there

Bus: E3 , E8, 195

Tube: Boston Manor (Piccadilly Line) 200 yards north of the house

Rail: Brentford Station

Parking: Boston Manor Park

Disabled access to ground floor only.

If you haven't found what you are looking for please visit the following websites: