An A-Z of Isleworth

By Christine Diwell of the Isleworth Society
and Hounslow Library Local Studies Team

A for Alice Ayres

Alice Ayres - Tomb and memorial, Isleworth Cemetery. Tomb and memorial, Isleworth Cemetery. The inscription reads: Sacred to the memory of ALICE AYRES, aged 26 years, who met her death through a fire which occurred in Union Street, Borough, the 24th of April, 1885. Amidst the sudden terrors of the conflagration, with true courage and clear judgment, she heroically rescued the children committed to her charge. To save them, she three times braved the flames; at last, leaping from the burning house, she sustained injuries from the effects of which she died on April 26th 1885.

This memorial was erected by public subscription to commemorate a noble act of unselfish courage.
"Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life."

B for barges

Barges unloading at the Draw Dock, c1890.Barges unloading at the Draw Dock, c1890.

Isleworth was a busy commercial port even until the late 1960s.

 

 

 

 

The last BA Concorde aircraft on the barge 'Terra Marique' at Isleworth, April 2004, en route to Scotland.

The last BA Concorde aircraft on the barge 'Terra Marique' at Isleworth, April 2004, en route to Scotland.

http://vasek.info/ © 2004 J Vasek

B for Sir Joseph Banks

The famous botanist and president of the Royal Society lived at Spring Grove House for about forty years, until his death in 1820

Sir Joseph Banks at Spring Grove House

C for churches

The old parish church of All Saints, 1829All that remains of the medieval parish church of All Saints is the tower. The church was rebuilt in 1707, but largely destroyed by arson in 1943. A temporary building inside the nave walls was used until a new church was built and opened in 1970.

Congregational Church. built in 1848 Photo by The Isleworth Society. 2011

 


 

The old parish church of All Saints, 1829

All Saints rebuilt after the 1943 fire, c1970

Congregational Church, built in 1848
Photo by The Isleworth Society, 2011




All Saints rebuilt after the 1943 fire, c1970
By permission of All Saints Church

St John’s Church, Isleworth, c1910-20


With population growth in the nineteenth century a new parish was needed. The church of St John the Baptist was built in 1856, in Victorian Gothic style with fine Victorian stained glass.

 

St John’s Church, Isleworth, c1910-20

 

Our Lady of Sorrows and St Bridget Catholic Church. Twickenham Rd. Isleworth. c1920s.


There has been a Catholic community in Isleworth since about 1675, with chapels, convents and schools. The church was built in 1909, and the tower was added in 1926.

 

Our Lady of Sorrows and St Bridget Catholic Church, Twickenham Rd, Isleworth, c1920s.

 

D for Duke of Northumberland's River

A man-made river which links the River Colne to the Crane at Bedfont, and the Crane at Kneller Gardens in Twickenham to the mill basin in old Isleworth.

Boys by the river at the Woodlands Estate, c1910.

Boys by the river at the Woodlands Estate, c1910.

E for Eileen Sheridan

Eileen Sheridan - A celebrated long-distance cyclist A celebrated long-distance cyclist who has lived in Church Street, Isleworth, for many years.

In 1954 Eileen set a Land’s End to John O’Groats record with a ride of 2 days 11 hours and 7 minutes. This ride was extended to set a 1000 miles record of 3 days and 1 hour.

 

 


Eileen Sheridan - A celebrated long-distance cyclist 2

 

 

 

 

F for Farnell

Owner of the Isleworth Brewery, he donated money for the building of St John’s Church and Vicarage, a school and ten almshouses.

John Farnell, c1850.John Farnell, c1850.

Farnell Almshouses, St John’s Road, Isleworth.

 

 

 

 


Farnell Almshouses, St John’s Road, Isleworth.

G for Gillette

Gillette factory, architect’s drawing 1935, built 1936-7.Gillette made razor blades in Isleworth from 1936 to 2004. The factory floor was concealed behind Sir Banister Fletcher’s impressive façade.

Gillette factory, architect’s drawing 1935, built 1936-7.

 

 

Gillette factory entrance decorated for the Coronation, 1953.Gillette factory entrance decorated for the Coronation, 1953.

 

 

 

H for Holmes

James Bragington as Sherlock Holmes in “A Study in Scarlet”, filmed at Isleworth Studios in 1914.

James Bragington as Sherlock Holmes in “A Study in Scarlet”, filmed at Isleworth Studios in 1914.Aerial view of Isleworth Studios. Worton Road. c.1930sAerial view of Isleworth Studios, Worton Road, c.1930s

 

 

 

 

 

 

I for Ingram's Almshouses

Ingram’s AlmshousesResident.s badge.Ingram’s Almshouses, endowed by Sir Thomas Ingram and built in 1664. One of the oldest buildings in Isleworth, it is in Mill Plat.

Resident’s badge.

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

go up to the top of the pageHigh resolution versions of most of the images used on these pages are available to purchase from Local Studies, Hounslow.
For details please email: localstudies-hct@laing.com or call 0845 456 2800

If you haven't found what you are looking for please visit the following websites: