An A-Z of Isleworth 2

J for Judge Haliburton

Mr Justice Haliburton at his home, Gordon House, c1857

Mr Justice Haliburton at his home, Gordon House, c1857. Thomas Chandler Haliburton was a Canadian lawyer and famous author. He moved to England after his retirement.

K for Kendall House

Kendall House in 1756

Kendall House in 1756 (now demolished). It was the residence of the Duchess of Kendal, mistress of George I, until her death in 1743.

L for London Apprentice

18th century Thames-side inn photographed from the draw dock, c1905

18th century Thames-side inn photographed from the draw dock, c1905.

M for mills

Isleworth Flour Mill (left) before it was destroyed by fire in 1795. Isleworth Flour Mill (left) before it was destroyed by fire in 1795. There had been flour mills on this site, using water power, since Tudor times. Samuel Kidd took over the rebuilt mill in the early 1800s, enlarged it, and in 1846 added two steam engines to supplement water power. It closed in 1934.

 

 

Kidd’s Mill, C1920                         

 

                                                        Kidd’s Mill, C1920.

 

 

The Good Intent Flour Mill, c1802

The Good Intent Flour Mill, c1802. Built by a co-operative society to provide cheaper flour and bread, this became notorious for a corrupt parliamentary election, when over 300 of its shareholders claimed the right to vote as landowners.

N for North Street

North Street and The Blue School in 1960.

North Street and The Blue School in 1960.

 

 

 

 

Tolson House. Photo of official opening. Middlesex Chronicle. 1968

 

 

Some of Isleworth’s old almshouses were modernised, but Tolson’s Almshouses (1756) in Church Street were demolished and replaced by Tolson House in North Street, in 1967. This in turn has been demolished, and a new Tolson House opened in 2012.

Tolson House. Photo of official opening, Middlesex Chronicle, 1968

 

O for Ormiston Wire

Ormiston Wire is a long-established manufacturer of specialist wires for a diverse range of uses, from film special effects to surgical saws. It was the first small company in the UK to install wind and solar power, in 2003.

Ormiston WireOrmiston Wire

 

 

 

 

 

By permission of Ormiston Wire.

P for Pears Soap

Pears Transparent Soap was developed in 1789 by Andrew Pears, a gentlemen’s barber in Soho. In 1862 Francis Pears moved production from London to Isleworth, at the Lanadron factory on the north side of London Road. As the business grew, a much larger soap works was built about 1894 on the south side of the road, on former orchard land. Pears soap was produced there until 1962.

Pears Transparent Soap Factory was developed in 1789

Andrew PearsFrancis’s son, Andrew Pears, used his wealth to buy Spring Grove House in 1886 (the former home of Sir Joseph Banks) and rebuild it on a grand Victorian scale. The house is now part of West Thames College.

Spring Grove House in 1886

 

 

 

 

 

 

P for plaques

One of sixteen heritage plaques installed by Heston & Isleworth Rotary Club

One of sixteen heritage plaques installed by Heston & Isleworth Rotary Club.

Q for Quakers

Quakers have been worshipping at Quakers Lane, London Road, Isleworth, since 1785.

Quakers have been worshipping at Quakers Lane, London Road, Isleworth, since 1785.

A local Quaker history, published to mark the bicentenary.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A local Quaker history, published to mark the bicentenary.

Q for Queens

Queen Catherine Howard, the fifth wife of Henry VIII, was imprisoned at Syon House in 1541-42. From Isleworth Stairs she was taken by royal barge to be beheaded at the Tower of London.

Catherine Howard, etching by Hollar after Holbein.
Catherine Howard, etching by Hollar after Holbein

Engraving of Lady Jane Grey by George Vertue (detail)


 

 

 

 

Engraving of Lady Jane Grey by George Vertue (detail)

 


It was at Syon House also that Lady Jane Grey, the Nine Days Queen, was forced to accept the crown in 1553, when Edward VI nominated her as his heir. Nine days after being proclaimed Queen at the Tower of London, she was displaced by Mary Tudor.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
return to top of pageHigh resolution versions of most of the images used on these pages are available to purchase from Local Studies, Hounslow.
For details please email: localstudies-hct@carillionservices.co.uk or call 0845 456 2800

If you haven't found what you are looking for please visit the following websites: