Old inns and taverns of Brentford and Isleworth 3

Salutation Inn or Tavern, 401 High Street, Old Brentford

Salutation Inn, Brentford. Watercolour by J.T.Wilson
This was at the east end of the High Street. The inn sign in the painting reads Salutation Tavern, whereas in the 1890s photographs it is the Salutation Inn.

The archway on the right led to a yard and stabling. To the left were a butcher’s shop, tobacconist/stationer and grocer, with houses beyond. A woman is carrying a basket on her head. Behind her, the plume of smoke may be from the gas works.

Salutation Inn, Brentford - c.1890s photo



The 1890s innkeeper was Henry Hall Humphries, who died in 1900, aged only 49. His widow Emma took over until 1913, assisted by some of their older children. The pub closed in 1919, and the building was later occupied by an Italian confectionery shop.

Salutation Inn, Photo c1890s (Hounslow Libraries Local Collection)

 

Salutation Inn, Brentford. 1892 photo

 

In the lower photo the waterworks tower can be seen in the background.

Salutation Inn, 1892 photo (Hounslow Libraries Local Collection)

Seven Stars Public House, 32 Half Acre, Brentford

Seven Stars, Half Acre, Brentford. Watercolour by J.T.Wilson
Not to be confused with the Half Moon and Seven Stars in the High Street, the Seven Stars was in Half Acre opposite the entrance to The Butts.

It was certainly in existence by 1769, perhaps earlier. In the Wilson watercolour a board is advertising Young Bainbridge Entire beer, later Young & Co. Different landlords in the 1861 and 1871 censuses both had young children who may be pictured here.





Seven Stars, Half Acre, Brentford. 1884 drawing by E.J.Line




Seven Stars. 1884 drawing by E.J. Line (Hounslow Libraries Local Collection)



Seven Stars, Half Acre, Brentford. Photo between 1890 and 1905Soon after the 1884 drawing, the old houses were replaced by a purpose-built pub, shown in the photo; in 1905 this closed and was demolished when the road was widened for the tram route to Hanwell.

 




Seven Stars.  Photo of the later building, between 1890 & 1905
(Hounslow Libraries Local Collection)

Six Bells Public House, 149 High Street, Brentford

Six Bells public house, Brentford. Watercolour by J.T.WilsonSix Bells, Brentford. Photo c.1903
This pub was named after the six bells of nearby St Lawrence’s Church. Three generations of the Piper family ran the pub from 1823 or earlier. The following was written in 1880:

‘In the landlord of the Six Bells, at the far end of the town, we meet the oldest publican in the parish. He has lived for seventy years in this house and his father for almost as many before him. He looks hale and hearty yet, but has evidently been to the doctor lately, as he said his medical man had ordered him to drink nothing but gin…’ (‘Coaching houses in Middlesex’, 1881). Bad advice perhaps, as Thomas Piper died that same year!

The Six Bells, c.1903 (Hounslow Libraries Local Collection)

This photo was taken not long before the pub was rebuilt in 1904.  The building beyond it, on the corner of The Ham, was a butcher’s before becoming The Magnet beerhouse.

Six Bells, Brentford. 1920s postcard

This postcard is after the rebuilding. The Six Bells is still open for business in 2013. The buildings between it and the church have gone.

 

1920s postcard (Hounslow Libraries Local Collection)   

Star and Garter, 2 Kew Bridge Road, Brentford

Quicksilver mail coach passing the Star and Garter. Engraving by Pollard

This painting can be dated fairly precisely by the name of the landlord, Hartley, on the porch. Thomas Hasebridge Parke Hartley was the landlord from sometime during 1866 until October 1867.

A fisherman’s guide book published in 1867 described the Star and Garter Hotel as ‘...much improved and plenty of room for it, since the late landlord left it’.  The inn dates from the mid-eighteenth century; the original coaching inn was later extended. Its position by Kew Bridge made it a popular venue for social events

‘The Quicksilver mail coach passing the Star and Garter’.
An 1835 engraving by James Pollard

Tram terminus by the Star and Garter, Kew Bridge. Postcard, c.1900



Tram terminus by the Star and Garter,  from a postcard, c1900
(Hounslow Libraries Local Collection) 

 

 

 


The Prince’s Hall, in its grounds, was used as a Beer Garden in the 1880s, which boasted a gymnasium and a swimming pool. The building became a theatre in 1896. The craze for roller-skating saw it converted into a roller-rink in 1914. Films were made at Kew Bridge Studios from 1919-1924; and then the hall was rebuilt as the Q Theatre, which operated until 1958. The Star and Garter closed in 1984 and only the façade remains, with offices built behind it.

Star and Garter Hotel advert, 1888

The Q Theatre, Brentford, 1958

Star and Garter Hotel. 1888 advertisement
(Hounslow Libraries Local Collection)

 

 

 

 

The Q Theatre in1958 (Hounslow Libraries Local Collection)

The Swan, Smith Hill / 35 High Street, Brentford

The Swan, Smith Hill, Brentford. Watercolour by J.T.Wilson
This is the only image we have of The Swan on the corner of the High Street and Smith Hill. Do not confuse this old pub with the notorious Swan tavern on the island of Brentford Ait, which closed in 1812. This Swan is not listed in any town directories and was only recorded as The Swan on the 1871 Census.
It was then occupied by Mrs. Sarah Rogers, a lodging house keeper, along with 20 lodgers. Her husband, George Rogers, is listed as a beer retailer between 1867 and 1870, so it was a beerhouse and not a pub that was licensed to sell wine and spirits.  In 1867 Sarah Rogers of the 'White Swan' appeared as a witness to a theft of lead guttering from a neighbouring property.


It continued as a lodging house until 1891 but had been demolished by 1901, along with other uninhabitable houses on Smith Hill.  The tall chimney behind an adjacent building, in the picture, may belong to a bacon smokehouse.

Old house on Smith Hill, Brentford. 1912 drawing 

The 1912 drawing shows another old house on the opposite corner of Smith Hill’s junction with the High Street.  Today Smith Hill is a stepped path leading to the Thames Path and a footbridge to Lot's Ait.

Site of The Swan, Smith Hill, Brentford, 2013
Old house at Smith Hill, 1912 (Hounslow Libraries Local Collection)

 

Site of The Swan. Brentford High Street at the top of Smith Hill today. (Photograph by Mary Marshall, 2013)

 

 

 

 

 

If you haven't found what you are looking for please visit the following websites: