Chiswick Back Common
Chiswick Common was part of the Bishop of London's Manor of Fulham and was rural until the mid C19th with large estates, farms and market gardens.
Chiswick Common was part of the Bishop of London's Manor of Fulham and was rural until the mid C19th with large estates, farms and market gardens. Development took place after the railway arrived in the area in 1849, with Turnham Green Station opening in 1869. Bounded on the north side by the railway embankment, Chiswick Back Common is mainly grass, criss-crossed by paths. Around the edges are mature trees, with beech hedging near the playground. At the east apex is a C19th fountain provided by the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain Association.
The total area of the Common is registered as approx. 3.5 hectares, which includes the Rocks Lane Sporting facility and consists of multi use tennis/five-a-side football pitches.
The playground at the far Western end of the Common was recently upgraded and is very popular with young children.
The Common is an essential facility to people living in and visiting Chiswick and is used intensively for amongst other things:
- Dog walking
- Access to public transport
- Access to shopping areas
- Kicking a ball around
- Sports events for local schools
- Keep Fit activities
If you are interested in joining the Friends of Chiswick Back Common, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
What's On Guide & Hounslow Highlights
Sign up for
Get regular updates by email on events and activities in the borough. Simply join the mailing list.
Sign up for
our younger person's
Get regular updates by email on events and activities in the borough for younger people. Simply join the mailing list.