The park is located on land that was once a gravel pit (late19th/early 20th century) and formerly part of Redlees House. Redlees House was originally called Hippisley (Hippersley) House and had grounds that extended to some 17 acres.
The house was purchases by Charles Farnell by 1852 and was later renamed by William Farnell Watson, the Farnells being a rich brewing family who, from 1800, owned and developed the nearby Isleworth Brewery. During the early part of the 20th century Redlees was a centre for tomato production with 21 huge glasshouses covering a total of 10 acres in the central and southern sector of the present day park.
The surviving former stable block is now used as an arts and crafts centre and has a splendid clock manufactured by Charles Frodsham and Co. of The Strand, installed in the period 1830 to 1840 (see image above). The park was acquired by Heston and Isleworth Urban District Council and officially opened in July 1932, the same day as two other local recreation grounds, Redlees Park and Heston Park.
What's On Guide & Hounslow Highlights
Sign up for
Get regular updates by email on events and activities in the borough. Simply join the mailing list.
Sign up for
our younger person's
Get regular updates by email on events and activities in the borough for younger people. Simply join the mailing list.